The Danger of Some Household Items to Your Pet

The Danger of Some Household Items to Your Pet

The Danger of Some Household Items to Your Pet

We all love having our pets inside but are you aware that many common household items can be potentially dangerous for your loved one?

Below, we have compiled a list of some dangerous things that you should be aware of around the house. Please note this is not an exhaustive list and other information can be gathered from your vet or other relevant platforms.



Did you know there are various foods that can be toxic to your pets and therefore should never be fed to them.

This also includes being careful when cooking with these foods to make sure your pet isn’t trying to be sneaky and get fed behind your back!

This list includes;

  • Garlic
  • Onion
  • Chives
  • Leeks
  • Tomatoes ( for cats)
  • Sultanas and Grapes
  • Raisins
  • Avocado
  • Products Containing Caffeine

Other foods that are potentially dangerous include raw fish, liver and sugary foods. When consumed in excess these could cause gastrointestinal upset.



This is an area that can catch pet owners out.

Examples of very dangerous plants are Lilies which can cause acute and potentially fatal kidney failure within a few days in cats. If your cat has had access to a lily plant, take them to the nearest vet immediately.

There are many other common household plants which can be dangerous to pets.

There is a great list linked here on the ASPCA website.



A lot of prescription and over the counter meds can be toxic to animals.

Examples of this are paracetamol which is highly poisonous to cats ( even in small amounts), and ibuprofen for dogs.

If you suspect that your pet may have ingested even the tiniest amount of medication that they weren’t supposed to, you should immediately ring an emergency vet for advice.



Fertilisers, if consumed by your cat or dog, can cause significant gastrointestinal upset.

If you suspect your loved one has ingested a fertiliser it is best to give your vet a ring for advice.



This may be an obvious risk for all pet owners but unfortunately it is still one of the most common causes of pet poisonings.

Things such as rodent poisons are designed to be enticing to animals and often hiding them in hard to reach places can be unsuccessful.

If you are using insecticides and/or rodent poisons, make sure these are locked up and in an area were your pet can’t access them.



A thing such as Xylitol, which is a sugar substitute, is highly dangerous to dogs even in small doses.

This is found in items such as lollies, drinks, toothpastes and baked goods.

For a more comprehensive list we recommend visiting the RSPCA Knowledge base. This is linked here.


Leave your comments below for stuff we may have missed or any other comments you may have.


The Pampered Pet

Leave a comment

* Required fields

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published